anal bum cover process

So this little project for local Denver whu-dup funk band Bop Skizzum took an unforeseen turn for the metal. I had a nice little concept cover designed out for their latest 7" titled Beauty Queen all set to roll when they went off the Pushead deep end and wanted to stick with something a bit more macabra.

here is the full process of what came to be


I was given some images by band of things that they had been kicking around and they were really into album cover for DJ Shadow's-The outsider by The designer Paul Insect . Eventually they picked this image which was crudely thrown together in a matter of minutes just to give the band a concept idea. Bare in mind most clients whom call me are on a tight deadline and we went from concept to final up on itunes in less than a weeks time.



From there they left it up to me to make it a bit more "funky" and add some color and my own kind of touch too it. Of course what I do next is so far above and beyond what I needed to it is kind of pathetic. I made 2 YES TWO different paintings (you know with the brushes and the tactile mediums and all) that I proceeded to discard in the name of the basic line drawing whihc is next.


This is the cleaned up fine line drawing I made from the painting above. I went from full color painting and regressed back to black line drawing. Don't say I never learned process progression while snowboarding, I mean going to art school.


I scanned that drawing; added some "funk" colors; came up with a text based hand drawn logo; slapped it on the ass; and sent it home with mommy...er something. 45+ plus hours to layout front and back of the sleeve and the spindle covers, which are probably the best part of the whole project and I still feel like the concept I preferred would have been not only more appropriate but also more interesting. maybe I will post that someday but that aint today, cause honestly I may sell it to someone at some point. 4 hours billed...thanks local band budgets because of you I can pay almost half my rent...most of the time.

I will be selling the paintings and some hand tinted prints soon, the album is available on itunes now and I will shoot some photos of the actual vinyl when it comes in after the new year. I am sure there will be a an album launch party at some bar but I probably wont be there...cause I'm broke.

buy stuff from me.

2 comments:

  1. i really like it, awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adhere to the standard text styles like Arial, Times New Roman, Courier, or Calibri. The more clear the textual style, the more intelligible the content will be.
    logo design service

    ReplyDelete